LAH0RI MUTT0N


I have always liked Anjum Anands cookery show whenever I came across it on television. However the idea of calling her "Nigelle Lawson ka Indian version" has never really appealed to me.
The dish that I made collecting the recipe from one of her books that I own, had used lamb, which I had successfully replaced with mutton.

The dish appealed because of it's yummy pic and the easy ingrediants, and has kind of become my fixation to make again and again. The list of ingrediants are below:

INGREDIANTS:


  • 500 g mutton, cubed or cut into bite sized pieces
  • 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • Half an inch of ginger, peeled
  • 1 cup (around 250 g) plain yoghurt
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 brown cardamom pods
  • 3 cloves
  • 4 green cardamom
  • 2" cinnamon sticks
  • 10 black peppercorns
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 and half tsp red chilli powder
  • 4 medium large tomatoes
  • 3 dry red chillies


METHOD:


  • Make a pate of ginger and garlic together with a splash of water.
  • Boil the tomatoes and de-skin them, puree them with the yoghurt.
  • Heat oil in a pan, and fry the bay leaves and dry red chillies, whole spices and sizzle fr a few seconds.
  • Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a couple of minutes till he rawmess disappearns.
  • Add the salt, sugar, red chilli powder, mix well and tip in the yoghurt paste. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
  • Add the mutton and cook over high heat for around 5 mins. Be careful that the yoghurt doesn't split.
  • Cover and cook on low heat for about 45 mins, or till the mutton is tender.
  • After the specifies time, remove the lid, toss the meat well in the gravy, and add some water if you look for a higher quantity of gravy.
  • Cook till gravy is reduced to half of he quantity.



  •    Serve hot with plain rice.


The best part of this recipe is that it is not hectic and doesn't call for an army of ingrediants an most of the other recipes do. All I found the absence of onion quite interesting. It's advisable to use hot stock in place of water to get a rich and creamy gravy. The slow kadhai cooking process did add a depth of flavour to the dish.
I had added in a bit of green chilli paste as well, because I like my food very spicy. Also I finished the dish with some garam masala powder.
From the quantity of oil it used, to the humble ingrediants it calls for, one needs to try this to understand the grandeur.

Try it!!!
U will be happy as was my family.......

Comments

Popular Posts