Iced Orange Cake

Merry Christmas to all my readers!!!
At last winter is knocking at the door.
My morning started with the slow blowing winds, brushing against my skin, bringing with it the aroma of cakes baked in the oven....
My childhood had witnessed the freshly baked cake out of the cake oven on Christmas, every year, Thanx to my mom. The custom still continues at my place, with slight differences being incorporated like the use of micro-oven and me being a helping hand at times, depending on what sate of quarreling mood we both are into!!.......

I had also baked a cake few days back, while it was not at all meant for celebrating Christmas, but a part of the dinner menu that i had prepared along with my friends. But the use of oranges and the way my friend had decorated it, it did bring in orangy flavoured memories of Christmas, remeniscent of my childhood as well.

The cake is from a recipe by Rachel Allen. Luckily, this time i could something constructive with her recipes, unlike the last fewer times, when it was nothing less than a disaster.

The steps are easy to follow. But then i apologise for not being able to provide you all with pictorial documentation. The cake was ready in a jiffy.

INGREDIANTS:


  • 100 gm Butter
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tbsp Orange zest, grated
  • 100 gm Caster Sugar
  • 100 gm Icing Sugar
  • 125 gm Flour, all purpose if possible
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder


METHOD:


  • Melt the butter and then cool it. Keep aside.
  • Whisk the eggs and add grated orange zest, caster and Icing sugar and whisk well. Mix till it all sugar gets dissolved.
  • Fold in the cooled butter now.
  • Add the flour, baking powder and fold it into the liquid ingrediants..
  • Grease your cake tin well. Put the mixture in there.
  • Bake it at a preheated oven for 40-45 mins at 140 degree C.
  • After it comes out of the oven, prick to see if cooked well. Cool it. Then transfer it into the wire rack.
  • Now time for some icing.
  • ICING: Mix 100 gm Icing sugar with a tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice. The icing shouldn't be grainy, and should have a nice consistency for drizzling.
  • Ready to serve.


The cake according to one was "too sweet", but i think the others quite liked it. The decoration part was completely taken care of my my friend Avijit Biswas, and probably that was one of the reason why it looked yum. The dusting of icing sugar was my idea though.

Try it!! and defy the kolkata custom of not making the all-Brit cakes for Christmas....


Comments

Popular Posts