Pasta has become a staple in my kitchen these days. Not a comfort food as yet, but certainly a way of comforting others, when caught off-guard. I consider this italian staple a blessing for human kind. and surprisingly my mom doesnt get irritated if at times i wanna substitute pasta with rice for lunch or dinner.
Pasta comes in variety of shapes & sizes. I don't really differ between these flour species. at times i buy pasta, falling in love with their shapes. and cooking pasta is an easy affair. there are various ways in which you can make it. i am not very sure how it tastes in salad, because have never used it that way till now, but i am sure will not be too bad. i however, make two kinds of pasta sauces at the begining of every week. and they sustain me for a week or so. only is tomato based, and the other one basil & garlic.
this sauces is another thing you will always find in my freezer. its the simple tomato & basil sauce. though the recipe asks you to use fresh basil leaves, but since i didn't have it, i have used up my dry basil powder, nd the result wasn't that bad. here's how you can make it. try it, its easy.................... and yummy too!!!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic
- 400g chopped tomatoes, use fat red tomatoes
- 1/2 crumbled vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp sugar
- few basil leaves, torn.
- crushed black pepper, for seasoning
- wash & chop up the tomatoes and keep aside.
- heat the olive oil & add crushed garlic in it and fry for a minute.
- tip in the chopped tomatoes and give a good stir. next add in the crumbled vegetable stock cube, tomato puree & the sugar. cook on high flame for a minute and then reduce the heat. (i had added some water also at this stage).
- cover & cook till the tomatoes are tender and it comes to a boil. it will take around 15 mins., stir occassionally.
- tear the basil leaves and pop in along with the freshly crushed black pepper. mix well.
- if your tomatoes were still in chunks like mine, you can blitz the entire thing in a mixer like i did!!!
trust me, this sauce will be your saviour on those late part nights, or craving for something itsy-bitsy while preparing office presentation late at night. this sauce if thickened, can work as your pizza topping as well. and topping can be of your choice. its of great help when my friends turn up without informing, or when my empty stomach growls at the middle of the night. here's how to make the pasta. i used fusili for this, because that's what was there in my kitchen.
- boil half a packet of fusili in hot salty water till al-dante.
- keep aside a cup of this pasta boiling water & drain the rest.
- chop up the garlic clove, ham & bacon (qnty depends on ur choice), and some parsley.
- heat a little oil and fry the bacan and ham and keep aside.
- heat oilve oil in pan and add in some fineley chopped garlic & chilli flakes. once it starts to turn brown, add a couple of tablespoons of the arrabiatta sauce, and mix well.
- tip in the pasta with the reserved water and mix well. add seasoning, crushed black pepper & mix well.
- cook till the water evaporates.
- top it with the chopped parsley & cheese.
enjoy the late night dinner!!!