Spice kissed egg bhurji

 


I do not have reasons or means to save my grace, if any of you plan to call this blog incomplete and inconsistent. It's true. Or else like many other food blogs, this also should have been flooded with egg recipes, and how many would you find here??

Egg to me is a form of sustenance, And for a larger percentage of the population living in our third world war country, this is as important as pulses and grains. I remember how eggs saves my mom every time some unknown unwanted and uninvited guests would turn up at meal time or would accompany any of the male members. Do not judge them, the norm of formality wasn't really much en vogue those days. So homemakers relied on eggs largely to serve up these guests. My mother often narrates, how in an entire joint family after almost everyone had eaten, there would hardly be any food left. My parents weren't included in these everyone, since the father-man would come back late after his fav adda session with his friends. I have always seen my parents having dinner together, I am glad the tradition still continues. 

Oh yes!! my mom often gets nostalgic narrating how she will have to go to the shop and gets eggs and make it for dinner. Those days refrigeration wasn't really that common in regular middle class households.

Now in case you have lost interest and already tired (at least my fat fingers have started complaining), may we proceed to the Parsi recipe that I am going to share with you all today. This I had first tasted in the year 2014 in a small Parsi cafe in Mumbai (near Fort area), for breakfast. But the one that I am going to share today is taken from another book, and enjoys a much more punch of spices). Let me share the image of ingredients rather than a boaring list:

1. Chop half a big juicy tomato finely, discarding the seeds and keep aside. Chop finely 1 green chili + 30 gm red onions +  a small handful of coriander leaves. Place all of these in a bowl with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and a generous inch of chili powder. Lightly mix na keep aside.

2. Take a bowl and crack 2 large eggs. Do not mix. keep aside.

3. Heat a pan and add  1 tbsp vegetable oil, swirl to cover the base. Salt the onion mix and toss well.  Once the oil gets hot tip in the contents of the bowl and enjoy the beautiful sizzle. Stir or toss continuously or else you stand the risk of getting them burnt.

4. Now add in the broken eggs to the an and scramble well lightly. wait for a couple of seconds and scramble again. Repeat after a few seconds for the last time. The eggs should be soft ideally, but do it to your preferred degree of doneness.

5. Now slather a slice of bread generously with butter an toast it well. 

6. Place the toasted bread on your plate and top it with spicy scrambled egg. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of yellow chili powder and some chaat masala. And now EAT!!

Honestly, the only way to enjoy this is, not think of any other thing, and just allow the spices and that egg to take over your senses. And then occasionally one bites into the soft onions or the green chilies: boom... another burst of flavor. And now time for recipe credits.: Dishoom "From Bombay with love". Please feel free to keep this book in your collection, if you too, like me find solace reading about the past while enjoying the present. This book enables you to probably cook some of the food from that time as well. That too, without much effort. Trust me!

While you are engrossed reading this, my mouth is salivating. Allow me to go to the kitchen to make some for myself. Take care.

Comments

  1. Wow. I can literally visualise the recipe by the way you have penned down. Drooling already 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am humbled to hear your words of appreciation. All I wish for you is the same joy, this dish provided me and my family. Love XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts