Murg JhaalFrezi


Taking intermittent breaks in between posts, I guess is a part of the maverick personality ( not very proud of it though), but neither is there an escape route from this trait. If you happen to find one, or can think of it, I am all ears.

With Jagaddhatri Puja being celebrated across the State today, I guess we are heading towards some regular life for some time, till the whole world gets together to celebrate the winters and Santa Claus comes ringing by. Till then lets celebrate and rejoice some homemade food and no-festive days. Oops!! I guess I missed out on wishing all you guys the following:

Belated Subho Bijoya
Belated Happy Diwali
Belated Happy Bhaidooj
Belated Happy Chhath
& the list goes on................................

As a matter of explanation of my absence  I will type out the following words for you all to understand ( It's no scientific formula, one doesn't need a truckloads of  IQ to understand. So just read): Every channel, every blogger and every other form of social media had created and displayed enough content for helping out everyone during the festive season. I was pretty assured that my words will not be needed. But the moment I realized, it's time to get back to normal days, appreciate the fact, that I am back among you guys. Also guys, I was traveling, and trust me, I intend to share all those stories of my travel with you!! Very soon.

There are no great photographs of the dish that I am going to talk about today, to lure you into creating this in your kitchen. Neither do I have the energy to dive into the sea of history and geography (When will google come handy??) to add in a dash of interest.This humble chicken dish is soon to become a part of my daily affair because I think have fallen in love with it. Not only because this paired well with my whisky, but in general, I believe this dish can be a part of your light snacking repertoire. And a suitable reply to the super easy stir fry culture of south east Asia.

Jhal Frezi is not a new addition to gastronomical vocab at all. Not very long ago, the city also had a restaurant by the name that boasted of great location, decor and food for sure. But I believe that's history now!! But what's very much alive is the taste, is this dish. I have somehow always detested the saucy, run of the mill claggy taste of the Jhal Frezi that restaurant's serve. I like mine to be gutsy, flavourful, alongside obtaining fair marks for looks as well. Looks matter always!! Here's how to do it!!

1. Cube 250 gms of chicken and marinate them with 1tsp turmeric, 1tsp red chilli powder and some salt. Cover and marinate for 30 mins, max.

2. Cut 1 no green capsicum ( feel free to add in the colours of bellpeppers, if you have) into strips. Do the same with 1 no tomato as well, discarding the inner liquidy part. Chop up couple of green chillies in any fashion of your choice. Alongside cut 1 big onion into quarters or fat strips. Done with chopping.

3. Heat some mustard oil in a pan and fry the chicken cubes ( kinda shallow fry I suppose), in batches. We need them to colour a bit, browning or charring is not required.

4. Once the chicken is done, in the same oil, add in 1tsp cumin seeds + 2-3 dry red chillies + 2 bay leaves. once the cumin seeds splutter add in the green chillies & 1 fat garlic clove, chopped ( use a grater if that's more convenient for you).

5.Time to throw in the quartered onions and fry on high heat till it blisters a little.Then add in about 2 tsp of grated or chopped ginger. And give a good mix. Followed by the capsicum strips and a pinch of salt. Fry on high heat for a few mins.

6. Time to add in the tomato strips,  1tsp turmeric + 1tsp red chilli powder and give a good mix . Once the raw smell of the spices disappear tumble in the chicken cubes back to the pan and give it all a very good mix (toss it if you can, only if you are confident not to burn yourself).

7. Add in about 1tbsp of vingar at this juncture + 1/2 tsp sugar + 1/2 tsp garam masala powder & stir well. Cook all of it for a couple of mins. What we are looking at is a no gravy, kinda dry dish, appropriate for starters. (In case you intent to make this a saucy affair, this is the time to add in some water and cook it for a while on medium low flames, covered).

8. Adjust seasoning and finish it off with 1tsp roasted cumin powder.

9. All that's left now is to serve in a dish of your choice. Just make sure, the ice is ready and beer is chilled!!

The dish as you read was simple, as promised.
Whether or not we like it, the tomatoes will break down, so that shouldn't be a matter of concern. Also I finished off the dish with some pepper powder, do that if you are ok with it!!

Not sure, but something tells me, this particular dish is of Anglo Indian origin. And the name signifies it to be "jhaal" or spicy . It wouldn't hurt to be a bit gutsy for the faint heart-ed to try this!!
As always, this is just a guideline, my way of doing it. Please make additions and subtractions suitable for your palette and for your table.

FOR MY VEGETARIAN READER:

This is specially for all of those animal lovers, who want them to live more and not leave for a place at my table!! Please substitute panner cubes  or may be cauliflower florets, in case you want to make it for yourself or for your guests.

Hope you all get to cook & try this. Soon maybe after a tired day at work, I will combine this with some leftover fridge cold rice turned into fried rice. Like the idea? Do let me know!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts