Bacon-y Dalle Thenthuk

There are tons of languages being spoken around the world.
But the most effective of them, one that permeat's into our memory & veins, in no time, is the language of food. I know that holds good for me and the likes of me!!

Trust me, it is the obvious way to bond with locals while travelling across unknown lands. This surely is one way to get to know the place & the people residing there. Trust me, if they offer food to you, they are indeed sharing a piece of their life with you, which is omthing to be grateful for!
Along with sharing and eating I do indulge in food shopping, or at least try to fill up my bag with whatever I can lay my hands upon. Not only to fill up my own larder but also to fill it up for other's i.e, edible souvenirs. Sounds easier now, right??

Let me share my first Thenthuk experience with you today. I picked up a packet of this flat noodles, named thenthuk & a bottle of Dalle paste from Lopchu, sleepy locality, tucked away in the sharp hairpin bends on our way to Tabakoshi ( Please google for more info on these names and places. I have mentioned it earlier about my geographically handicapped nature). Apparently this place Lopchu, is known for supplying baked goodies to all places in and around New Jalpaiguri, So I was told. Not only the afore mentioned things, I did shop for much more. More about that, some other day. I promise!

Once back home, I set out on the journey to make some thenthuk for my hungry belly as breakfast one morning. Easy breezy as always, call me a lazy or cheater home-cook, if u wish to!! Well, I bask in the glory of many such compliments. Lol !

I boiled a packet about 250gms of thenthuk ( I used egg ones, but veg ones should do fine, I guess) in boiling water for 4 mins. Please tend to this state as if tending to a baby ( human or other living forms). At least if not for humanity, then yourself. You will loathe the sloppy floury mess this might turn to, on being overcooked. Once al-dante, or cooked well ( retaining a bite), dip them in ice cold water.

Heat a pan and snip in handful of bacon rashes ( One might also take the liberty of using half a cup of diced bacon, if you have that). And allow it to cook on high flame, till they have rendered out all those bacon-y juices and have crisped up. Save them from burning!

Chop up 2 nos. Spring Onions, both green and white part . Finely chop 1 no  fat clove of Garlic & 2 nos. Dalle chillies, if you have, or green chillies would do just fine. Roughly crush a handful of peanuts as well ( I did mine in mortar & pstle. If you don't have that, place them between a folded kitchen towel & bash them. Bashing is a good form of de-tox.)

Put the boiled Thenthuk in a bowl. Throw in the chopped spring onions, garlic, chillies, 2tsp of Dalle paste, some light soy, a generous capful of vinegar, crisp bacon (saving some for later) & its rendered fat. Mix well lightly. I used my hands. Feel free to use a chopstick or pair of tongs for this.

Finish it up with crushed peanuts and crisp bacon bits.

No need to thank me, though I take all the pleasure for paving your path to heaven & almost in no time. No measurment as such has been mentioned here, because I would want your taste buds to guide you through that.

However here are some tips for you to not have heart attack, like I experienced:
Dalle Paste is addictive, but do not be too generous with it, if you happen to have a feeble heart. I was over-generous about it!!
Also a handful of fresh cine chopped coriander, wouldn't hurt I guess.
Also I used the regular white vinegar, I found in my kitchen, but you can indulge in Chinese black vinegar, if you have that. I do not thing any wine vinegar is required alongside such robust flavours.

Should you find this hamlet ever, do not miss the oppurtunity of having the best Beef momo ever form this tiny shop. I am posting in a image of the shop, in order to make it easy for you. No I am not advertising for them, just that caring is sharing.


Until next time, be safe, be in good spirits. Eat well!!

Comments

  1. I love the way the foods are portrayed here, and the style of blogging. I like how the blog starts with a storytelling tone, like a table spoon of oil is put in the heat, and engrosess the reader and slowly moves to the actual cooking recipe, just like putting the marinated pieces to be cooked slowly but sincerely to produce a great lingering taste, that stays for a while. This blog does that with ease, and makes you even hungrier in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for essaying it beautifully, that I somehow am on the right track. Loved it!!

      Delete
  2. Thanx a ton. Hope when you get some of it to eat during this visit, the food tastes better than the photographs!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts