Raw Mango Oriental Chicken

I have found the best part about weekends (other than providing relaxation),is that they allow me some time to be in the kitchen, even when I am not cooking, I may just be there, watching mom cooking, and strike up a conversation that was a long due. I love the sounds and smell surrounding that tiny longish kitchen of ours or any other kitchen for that matter. I am sure, I am a part of the tribe, that discovers themselves in their Kitchen.



Coming back to weekends, which are not always that happening (my age doesn't permit me to always look for exciting things!!), but still a little bit here and there, doesn't hurt!! The easiest way to entertain myself and spread some love is through a quick trip to the kitchen. And this Saturday, I mean today, I ended up spending 15 mins and cooked up something to pair with booze, this evening, when I catch up with my friends. Me and friends 7 booze spells Saturdays for us mostly!!

Here's how I made it:

1.Marinate about 400 gm boneless chicken pieces in 1.5 tsp light soy sauce + white of 1 egg + 1/2 tsp (heaped) Dalle paste (one that I had shopped from this tiny town, Lopchu. Visit that place if you can, for devouring a plate-full of the best beef momo,you can think of. Incredible!! )+ 1.5 tsp honey+ 1 tsp (heaped) freshly pounded white pepper + 1.5 tsp fish sauce+ 2 tsp cooking wine (I have used 3 capfulls of Feni/ cooking wine) . Keep aside for 30 mins.

2.Chop 1 no capsicum into triangles or squares (whatever is easier) + 1 no, Red bell-pepper into similar triangles or rectangles, 1 medium sized raw mango into matchsticks  that's how I chopped it) + couple of sticks of spring onion.

3.Pound together 8 cloves of garlic and 1" ginger with some crystallised salt (salt because it helps to pound it easier).

4.After 30 mins, give the marinated chicken a mix, and is in 2 tbsp cornflour (heaped), and mix again.

5.Heat oil in a pan (I am not talking about deep fry, keep that in mind), and fry the pieces in batches of two, till  turns golden brown. take them out and keep aside and rest for 2-3 minutes.
Heat some more oil and crank up the  heat, and re-fry the fried chicken pieces, once again, which adds to the crunch factor of it. Fry for a minute or two and remove.

6. In the same oil, add 6-7 dry red chillies, pounded ginger + garlic, along with a handful of the chopped white part of the spring onion, and fry on high heat for a minute (be careful about not burning them. While I am most comfortable, cooking everything on a medium flame, time has taught me, Chinese loves high flame. it's more of a quickie rather than a long lovemaking!!)

7. Tumble in the bell-peppers and chopped fresh red chilies, 3-4 nos along with 1 tsp sugar and give a good stir (If you are confident and the owner of a good pan, you can even toss it) and mix for a minute or so. Add in the chopped raw mangoes and stir well for a few seconds (it needs to hold it's crunch well). Add in the fried chicken pieces, along with the juices that come out of it ( do not forget the juices).

8. Time to add in 2 cap-fulls of light soy + 2 tsp honey + 3 cap-fulls of Feni/ cooking wine + 1,5 tsp vinegar  and stir fry well over high heat. (Do have a taste at this point, and adjust according to the pleasure of your tastebuds. I added in a bit more of vinegar). Mix well, to ensure every thing gets a touch of the sauces.

Few of you must be worrying about the authenticity of it, because I haven't spoken about a quientessential  part: Cornflour slurry. Chill!! Here it is: Mix 2 tbsp cornflour with 4 tbsp water and mix well. Add 2-3 tsp of that slurry to that pan and mix and turn off the flame.


Finish it off with some chopped fresh red chillies and chopped greens of the spring onion.

NOTES:
1. I added Feni, because that was available at home. And if you like me, do not have cooking wine at home, I think a shot of rum might help. (Hold your horses!! I mean to add to your dish and not for consumption).
2. Few of you might recall about this recipe being familiar: It is. I read about this recipe on the pages of an English daily, recipe by the mother of Food bloggers, here in the city of Joy, Poorna Banerjee. You are allowed to think of me, as a lazy lad or dim witted since I do not frame my own ones: in that case you are most welcome. I am just happy to follow up on all those creative recipe minds, and own up their creation with some changes here and there, and make it mine!!


Go ahead and make it, if you please!! And do update me about the results and reactions!!

With a promise to be back soonest, here's me bidding adieu!!
Happy weekend Folks!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts