Theecha flavoured Amritsari fish

 

I have claimed my love for deadlines time and again. But time has proved how miserably I fail at meeting deadlines and resolutions. So today let's celebrate my failures. What say peeps? 

My not so long yet not short absence from the blog can be mostly blamed on the long working hours and the ageing lazy body. But the lazy bones have gathered some vitality in the form of a super relaxing Sunday. Cheers to the effort. lol

I am not aware of the history of evolution of this dish: it has been expressed before as well but I am in love with fish. This post is a living testimony to that. Hello!!I am a Bengali, my forefathers hailed from Bangladesh, so #fishlove is in the genes. The dish in discussion today is essentially a much loved starter, easy peesy to make, and gives your tastebuds a kick. I have taken the liberty to add in another ingredient which isn't very common in this part of the country but makes the end result super delicious.

Theecha: whats that now? It's basically a bicep work. Yeah, what else when you ahve to pound tons of garlic and rawchillies with some salt and flavourless oil.  Let's make our way to the kitchen. Shall we? Oops!! The name is yet to be revealed, or maybe you have guessed it well: Amritsari Macchi.

1. About 250 gms of any firm white fish is most coveted for this. I used Bhekti. Clean well. Pat dry with kitchen towel.  Portion the fillets into bite size pieces. 

2. Let's marinade the fish: 1.5 tbsp of lime juice + 1 tsp red chilli powder+ 1 tbsp theecha (heaped)+ 2tsp ajwain or carom seeds + 1/6th tsp hing or asafoetida + 2tbsp ginger & garlic paste+ salt to taste. Mix it well and keep aside for 20-25 mins.

3. Heat oil in a deep bottom shallow pan. About 1/2cup vegetable oil, or any other flavourless oil would also suffice. 

4. Sprinkle 2 heaped tsp gram flour or besan + 2tsp flour over the marinated fish cubes. 2 tsp of chilled water is needed and then mix it well. We are aiming to add a thin layer of crispness to the fish cubes, instead them dipping them into a batter-y batter ( you know what I mean!).

5. As the oil heats up, fry them in batches till golden brown. I do this on a medium high flame, inorder to save the colour. It hardly takes about 4 mins each batch. Take them out on an absorbent paper. Repeat till all are done.

6. Sprinkle some chaat masala on top, this is essential. A cheek of lime on the side and some green chutney. Voila! We are ready to serve. Oh yes! Nothing fancy, just pile them on a plate and soe green chillies are a must, in case you like it hot.

Do not look surprised. Its done..... yes in 6 simple steps and with no allmost no effort. Food like this is my kinda fare. Do not forget the green chutney. It's a necessity. A superb starter loved by even the ones who take great pleasure in loathing fish. I agree there is an initial awkwardness when paired with tea and coffee like the first few days of an arranged marriage. Served with poison of choice, the golden baubles display a passionate romance. 

I am not going to tell you how I eat it at times, chances re you will end up loathing me. But what I can tell you, are some finer points. Read on:

A. Bhetki is expensive and it's known fact. In case you have to feed a crowd, opt for Pomfret fillet, Basa or Kolkata Bhekti. Do not blame me for the change in taste. Remember these are substitutes.

B. I prefer you use freshly pounded ginger and garlic paste. 

C. Theecha can be made at home or bought online. Its easy to find.

D. A lot many will advise to make the green chutney fresh while serving. Do that. Me thinks making them a day or two ahead adds to their pungency. This pungency pairs well with the buttery softness of the fish.

E. In case if you are lazy or miser, make this without theecha, though I wouldn't really like that!

F. Last but important. There is no taking away from the fact, for non-fish loers, this being with fins does have a fragrance of their own. Be at ease, hing will take care of it.

Acknowledgment: I did take the basic idea and almost the entire recipe from this book by the chef with the cutest smile, Kunal Kapoor. An image of teh dish with the book is the first pic to adorn this post. Much love to you chef!

Hopefully in some time I will be able to add in a perfect green chutney recipe. As of now I have been tasting some and experimenting. Let's wave goodbye to each other with a promise to return whenever. Oops I meant sooner!!

Chow!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts