Seed-y Beetroot bread

Hello there,

So I am back again after a hiatus. It's sad how work consumes most of the waking hours of our day, and I am no exception to that. But in my defense, all I can say is: this hasn't been a very long break. Phew!

Also I am back with something special. Something that I have been planning to put into action for long enough ( you got to trust me on this), and finally now it's a reality. This can be considered as my ode to winters, which stayed on long this time, which is quite much of an enjoyable thing I suppose, though like many pals I did suffer from my bouts of fever and it's condiments. The ode (read the dish) that I am going to talk about today happens to be for the ailing ones, developing bodies or the ones who are fully developed like moi. Can you ask for anything more? And it does makes those greedy and picky taste buds happy.

Beetroot has never been my favorite, except for the color it imparts to food, but this time it's different.As the name suggests it is a bread, but not like the ones we are used to buying from the grocers shop. This is special. But this doesn't demand a lot of your back breaking effort. This bread is forgiving and giving as well, or else how do you define the crunch and the health quotient it brings along! Not to mention the lovely boom of color that it brings into our mostly insipid life.

Since you all are, I suppose getting impatient, here is all that you need , and so it's time to get started.

1. Start by pre-heating your microwave to 175 C. Alongside grease and line your 20 cm x 10 cm loaf tin as well, keep aside.

2. Now the most important part: 200 gm beetroot. Clean, peel & grate them.

3. In a small bowl add in the following: 50 gm rolled oats +  2 tsp fresh thyme leaves + 50 gm pumpkin seeds + 2 tsp caraway seeds + 2 tsp nigella seeds. Mix together and keep them aside.

4. In another bowl add in 100 gm wholewheat flour (atta) + 100 gm plain flour + 2 tsp baking powder + 1/4th tsp baking soda+ generous pinch of salt, whisk in well and keep aside.


5. In a big mixing bowl add  2 large eggs + 80 ml vegetable oil ( or any flavorless oil) + 80 gm sour cream +1.5 tbsp honey + 20 gm grated Parmesan cheese. Whisk these well with your whisk till aerated, well combined and pale in color.


6. Sieve in the dry mix to the wet and along with the grated beetroot and fold in well with a spatula. (Watch this step with bated breath, a in no time all you get to witness is a bowl full of beautiful pink). Add in 2 tbsp ( heaped) of the seed mixture into this and fold it in well.


7. Now break in 120 gm regular Bondel cheese into 2 cm pieces and add to the beetroot mix. Time to fold it again. Be careful not to break the cheese pieces.


8. Pour the batter into your greased loaf tin and level it well by tapping it.


9.  Top it with the remaining seed mixture, this is what adds the crunch.


10. Bake them at 175 C for 50 mins, undisturbed.  Take it out and cover the top tightly with a foil and bake again for 55 mins, till a skewer inserted comes out clean with minute crumbs stuck to it.

11. Take it out on a cooling rack and cool it well.


Now that's that. Easy, ha?

I am sure there would be very few who would agree to disagree with me, on how super duper easy the recipe reads, and no, this isn't a fable. My friends, this most certainly is a reality, for your family, friends and mostly for you to cherish.

However, here are some tips for you to know before you rush to the market, grocer or your kitchen:

a. Do not limit yourself only to the kind of seeds mentioned in here. Feel free to explore, options are plenty around.

b. I generally toast my nuts and seeds (in a dry frying pan), but in this case, that step can be eliminated. The long baking, adds to that job and makes it crunchy as it is.

c. The thyme leaves are a work of beauty of our beautiful nature. So I did not bother to chop them. You can for sure chop, if you wish to!

d. In case if your convection works at 180 C, the timings for the first half would be 40 mins, followed by 40 mins covered in foil.

e. Goat's cheese can be a good substitute to Bondel cheese.

Recipe credits: This recipe has been adapted from the book Simple by the famed and handsome Yotam Ottolenghi. This book has been lying in my cupboard, until one day when I browsed through the pages and this recipe resonated well, with the season, seasonal ingredient and my bent of mind.

I prefer to follow the Ottolenghi way while eating it: Just slather some salted butter on top and relish it till the last morsel.

And here I take your leave, with a promise to be back with something more delectable, even before you have had your fair share of this beauty. Once again, love thyself, love thy family and friends. That's your asset!!

Chow!

Comments

  1. Now I get the 'easy' recipe...but the food looks comforting as much as the warmth of the writer... might try it easily...😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be sharing with some friends who might be interested..Lovew

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts