Dana Methi Murg

If you have successfully lived through Monday morning blues and reached middle of the week, then like me even you too deserve a treat, amigos! What If I add the 'tadka' of health quotient to this dish that's easy to make & packed with flavours? And trust me, If I talk healthy, I certainly do not mean bland or boring, rather something new & interesting. At least it was new for me, and I am similarly some of you will find it new too.The dish in question has two primary ingrediants: Chicken & Fenugreek seeds aka methi-dana.

Yes, the ever-known tiny bitter ones. No-nooo-noooo-no, do not run away or even press that cross option at top left of your screen. I promise this will not be bitter, but better.  Rather the seeds once softened, adds in a soft bite. The author informs, this recipe originated in Rajasthan. Going by my little knowledge of the state's culinary pleasures, I know I can take the liberty of using mustard oil & chillies to the fullest. Though this is not a paid Fenugreek promotion or thesis, by any means, yet allow me quote the author, Marryam H. Reshii on the benefits of this humble kitchen ingrediant:

"In fact, after turmeric, fenugreek seeds have the highest medicinal effects of all commonly used spices. It is used as a digestive; it has near- magical ability to control blood sugar, since it's hypoglycaemic in nature. The seeds are also used as a kitchen remedy to control phlegm in the respiratory tract, to help increase milk production in lactating mothers because of their high calcium content (as much as 40%), to cure cough and even to increase potency."

Now that you have displayed fair amount of respect and patience by reading through all the above, let me take you straight to the kitchen, and let's start working on this easy chicken dish. Also, It is easy to guess, the recipe is adopted from "The Flavour Of Spices" By Marryam H. Reshi.

Do not take offence, but even taking the guidelines from this beautiful book, I certainly did some modifications. What I am sharing here is my version of it of course:

1. Start by soaking 3 heaped tbsp of methi seeds in water. Keep it aside for 30 mins. After that boil them for 5 mins.  Once done, strain, and keep the seeds aside. Taste it if you wish to, only to be surprised at how soft it has become, and hardly any traces of bitterness left in it.

2. Heat about 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. I have used Mustard oil for that punch. Add in 1/2 tsp of asafoetida or hing to the oil and .

3. Time to add in some more dry and powdered spices: 6-7 long green chillies, chopped + 1 tsp red chilli powder+ 3/4 tsp turmeric powder+ 1/2 tsp fennel seeds + 3 dry red chillies, broken. Cook all these for a couple of seconds to a minute on the hob. I will suggest sprinkling a tad bit of water to the pan, that reduces the risk of you burning the spices.

4.Once the raw smell starts dissipating, add in the boiled methi seeds to this spice mix and cook until the oil separates. I did cover mine for a while and cooked the entire thing on a medium to low flame. Once done, take it out and keep aside.

5. Chop up about 2 medium onions & 4-5 garlic cloves. You can chop coarsely, I went for a finer thing. Peel & quarter 2-3 potatoes, depending on their size. Fry them in some oil till gets a some browned edges and gets blistered on the outside.

6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, I used mustard oil as before for the pungency. Add in 2 dried red chillies, the chopped onions & garlic. Saute' till onion softens and turns translucent. Time to add in 500gm washed & cleaned chicken pieces to the pan and give a light mix. Add in the following dry spices: 1 tsp amchur or dry mango powder + 2 tsp coriander powder+ 1/2 tsp turmeric powder & about 1 tsp red chilli powder & give a good mix, this time, combining all the ingrediants in the well. I added in the potatoes at this stage as well.

7. Cook on high flame for couple of mins, till the chicken is well coated in aroma & spices. Once oil starts to appear on the sides, you know, it's time to lower the flame and cook it on sim for a while. You can add in some water or stock at this stage, I did.

8. Beat about 100 ml yoghurt with a good pinch of sugar & some salt. Once the chicken is almost cooked, add in the yoghurt & the cooked methi seeds & give a good mix. Allow it to cook together till chicken is done. Do not forget to check for seasoning, before taking it off the hob.

9. Coriander leaves, chopped up is the only garnish that comes handy.


If you have had the patience to read till here, you must have understand, even after all these aforementioned stages, the process is easy. The recipe is forgiving enough to allow you some rest in between as well. And most importantly it saves you a trip to the market for shopping, your kitchen and fridge will have most of the supplies. But, I have got some more things to say!! Read along:

a. I used mustard oil for the pungency, You can of course use vegetable oil. Or for a dose of decadence, ghee or clarified butter can also be used, while cooking the chicken.

b. My taste buds cannot do without chillies and heat. You might think otherwise, so do take the liberty to control the amount of heat (read chillies of all kind)  according to your liking's.

c. I generally add in a teaspoon of cornflour or flour to yoghurt, to save it from splitting,when adding it to a hot pan. You can of course use your home-cook tricks or give this a step a complete miss.

d. Since I had it with rice, I choose to keep some gravy. If chapati or roti is your choice, then you might keep little or no gravy!

e. Potatoes are of course an addition of your's truly, blame it on my bong taste buds. You might get rewarded that way, since the recipe talks nothing about spuds.

With all these words of wisdom shared, I feel less burdened and more relieved. Food as they say, like happiness is to be shared. Cheers, if like me, that is the only we you know to spread love.

Khamma-Gani!!


Comments

Popular Posts