LAMINGTONS


I know that complaints will be many, but the good thing is that.... I am finally back, and to celebrate this home coming, I am back with a dessert.
People have oftenasked mewhy do I post desserts or bakery items most of the time?? While that allegation holds truth, I cannot deny the fact that I have a strong craving for something spicy!!!!!! While my baked goodies are most of the time for giveaways, the spicy ones are just for me.....
The story behind thid batch of lamingtones is the same!! A senior colleague, eho I beleive has suddemly turned into a friend (and I mean it in a good way!!!!), is supposed to leave for his much awaited vacation. This prim-and-perfect friend of mine is a sucker of all things cisy & beautiful, and kept on cribing about his tonight's train journey, which according to him wll be dreadful, oeing to the presence of cranky kids, farting oldies and a whole lot of family " PDA" (to which I agree to some extent). Yet I am a train baby. Somehoe since childhood,  he idea f a vacation has somehow roped in that old loud b ifeast, The train! !!!!!!
This bunch of lamingtones I hope will help to keep him calm, and sooth his sweethtooth, though his diet is sure to part ways with him!!!!
Lamingtons, are as everyone knows a vey english form of confectionary, to br more precise,  is borrowed from Australia, where its almost a staple.  Though I had a notion of this being super dificult, yet they tuned out to be real fuss free.
I had made the sponge last night after office..... I was bowled over by the soft sponge!! The coating and wrapping was done this morning. Here's the recipe that I had followed:

INGREDIANTS:

  • Flour............ 120gm
  • Baking powder.......... 1tsp
  • Baking soda................ 1/2 tsp
  • Caster sugar................ 120g + 1/2tsp
  • Milk.................... 80ml
  • Vanilla essence...........1tsp + 1tsp
  • Eggs..................2 nos
  • Dessicated coconut.............60gm
  • Icing sugar....................120
  • Cocoa powder...............30gm
  • Water..............................200gm


the sponge just out of the oven

the sponge chopped into squares


the home made double-boiler

the dessicated coconut bed

the half lamingtons

the final set of lamingtons



METHOD

  • Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
  • Grease the cake mould and keep aside. Try and use a rectangular one.
  • Mix the flour and sugar together. Add butter and the other wet ingrediants and mix well.
  • Pour the mixture into the greased cake mould scraping the sides of the mixing bowl.
  • Cook for 30minutes at 180degrees. Once done, keep aside and allow it to cool, and come to room temperature.
  • Icing:
  • set the double boiler and sift in the cocoa and icing sugar. Mix well.
  • Scatter a thick bed of dessicated coconut on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
  • Now add the water and vanilla essence to the cocoa and sugar mix until smooth. Remember to keep the icing thin, if required you can add a tad bit of water.
  • With the help of a fork, start dipping the cake pieces in the icing and wait for a few seconds to get them evenly coated in the mix.
  • Take them out and then coat them with the dessicated coconut.
  • Repet the steps for all the remaining.


Trust me, I was supaaa happy after making these babies. Not only did they lookeed like eomen covered in their expensive furs!!!!!!! The sponge was soft, so beware while dipping them in chocolate and then while coating them. It would take minutes if you are using a electric beater. You can store them in refrigerator, like I did, because I lke to have a bite, rather than these being too gooey.
Try this, not only for friends but for your vacations as well

Lets wish my friend a lovely vacation!!!!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts